- Non-contact - as a non-contact sport it is a great, safe sport for students of all ages, sizes and abilities.
- Self-refereed - the self-refereeing aspect of Ultimate encourages a mature response to competitive situations.
- Skill Acquisition - the task of throwing a disc accurately and catching it successfully is great for the development of hand-eye co-ordination.
- Fun - we regularly find that students who wouldn't usually get involved in PE really take an interest in Ultimate.
- Co-ed - Ultimate is most commonly played with both men and women. Many social leagues in Australia are mixed.
Ultimate (Frisbee) is a unique sport that fosters many traditional fundamental motor skills as well as requiring new disc specific skills. The game itself develops many fundamental motor skills such as running, leaping and the vertical jump. Ultimate also develops hand-eye co-ordination and catching skills as well as the unique forehand, backhand and overhead throwing skills needed to propel the disc. These new skills are easy and fun to learn and many of the movements can be adapted from other sports.
Ultimate also provides a unique approach to officiating, allowing the players themselves to resolve disputes. The Spirit of the Game (SOTG) is the governing rule of the sport that trusts players to play within the rules in an honest and friendly-yet-competitive environment. SOTG allows players many opportunities for leadership as well as situations for players to practice conflict resolution that can easily be transferred to other areas of life. SOTG is best defined as: Play hard; play fair.
In a time when sedentary children are often considered the norm, Ultimate can inspire participants to continue playing this and other alternative sports. The fast-paced game of Ultimate is a fantastic cardio workout with many new skills to master to ensure the game is always entertaining. Simply playing throw and catch has many health benefits as you chase and jump after a flying disc to make a catch.
To book a session please complete our coaching request form.