Posted by Anna Haynes
Thursday, 23 September 2010
The following is list of areas of consideration and tips to assist your hosting responsibilities if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the
Preparing the Bid
- Securing fields - booking with a field provider
- How many fields can be accommodated
- Are their toilets/clubrooms/adequate parking facilities?
- Is line marking allowed/required?
- Do you have a reliable Tournament Organising Committee (Key Volunteers)
- Submit the bid to the Event Officer by the deadline.
Setting the budget
- Have you incorporated all expected costs?
- State and National Event Based Fees (EBF's)
- Field Hire/Line Marking
- Catering variables
- Budget for first aid, ice, prizes, tournament gifts or playing shirts if applicable.
* You can request a budget template from the
Before the tournament
- Read and sign the Memorandum of Understanding relating to your tournament.
- Set up an AFDA Registration Page
- Prepare article to promote your event via the website and official mailing list to the WAFDA Secretary.
- Continue to verbally promote your event at leagues and to club contacts.
- Are you arranging a tournament function or party?
- Keep in contact with any suppliers to ensure your orders are on track.
- Provide any updates, changes to the Events Director or Secretary to ensure website articles are relevant and correct.
- Visit your venue, check the fields and facilities.
- Do you have or need access to power?
- Check with your field provider that you have the correct keys to access toilet, clubrooms, lights if applicable.
- Can you access running water?
- When do you need to finalise catering?
- Have you checked participants dietary requirements/allegies/vegetarians?
- When do you have to pick up food and drink items?
- Do you have enough fruit?
- Where will you store perishable items?
- Have you got discs fit for game play?
- Have you made arrangements to collect any WAFDA owned items needed for your tournament; Shade tents, "Play Ultimate" banners, water drums or discs.
- Have you contacted team captains with the draw, meeting times, competition specific rules, when and how to pay?
- Are your fixtures complete and advertised?
- Is the draw fair and does it offer value for money with the number of games on offer?
- Arranged all prizes required for the event?
- Have you got enough team folders and spare pens?
- Printed enough rosters, score/spirit sheets, evaluation forms, competition rules and tournament schedules?
During the event
- Check the fields before game play for hazards.
- Advising players of who to direct enquiries to during the event?
- Procedure for notifying players of game start and finishing times?
- Procedure for refilling water drums, transporting full water drums to each fields?
- Procedure for setting and packing up shade tents?
- Do you have extra toilet paper for toilets or rubbish bags?
- What is your back plan if something runs out (food/drink/stocks)?
- Advise Captains where to hand in score sheets.
- How will food be distributed and when?
- Who will be timekeeping?
- Rubbish storeage and removal?
- Procedure for conducting the awards presentation?
- Do you need to arrange change/money float?
- Where/How will you store money collected at the fields?
- What is the procedure for extreme weather condidtions?
For more information check the AFDA Tournament Resource section for tips on hosting events.
After the Event
- Are the fields left in an appropriate manner?
- Has all WAFDA equipment been returned?
- Are any damaged items reported?
- Have all teams completed an evaluation form?
- Have you advised final playing numbers to the
- Have you prepared and sbmited a tournament report within 30 days of your event?
- Have you returned any keys to your field provider?
- Have you settled all accounts relating to your event?